Doing Laundry in the Dormitory

When I started college, I never gave much thought to how I would do my laundry as my mom did them all the time. Doing laundry does not look too complicated but doing it right is not easy. There was a laundry room couple doors down the hall in McNair hall. It had 1 washer and a dryer but there were over 60 students on the floor. The ground floor or basement had about 15 washers and dryers. That's not bad at all but there are over 256 students in the building. To do my laundry, I have to wait for when a washer is available.

It takes about 45 minutes for the wash to complete. I had to make sure I was back on time or somone looking to wash could dump my stuff out getting it all dirty again. Seperating the colors was a hassel and the wait was exhausting. I usually take a book to read while waiting - an excellent way to pass time. If I am lucky, there maybe a dryer available as soon as I am done. If none is available, I have to wait and listen for the next completion beep. The most annoying thing about the laundry rooms in the dorms is students who leave their stuff in the washer and/or dryer and slow everyone else down. A good tip is to leave your basket by the washer or dryer if you don't want your cloths in the dumpster. Drying takes longer...about 30 more than washing. If you let your cloths sit in the dryer for more than 30 mins after it stops, you make be walking around in a tide of wrinkles. Best practice is fold or hang your cloths as soon as the dryer beep goes off. That would save you a lot of ironing time. I hate folding my cloths. It takes a lot of time and needs to be done right.

If dorm mom was at my college, I would have definately used them. Apart from the time savings, you won't be ruining your cloths or getting scared of it been stolen from the dorm laundry room.

Michigan Tech Graduate
Class of 2005

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semester Shipping/Storage Solution

College Laundry Service by Dorm Mom, Inc.

Five (5) Good Reasons Students Should Use Dorm Mom Laundry Services