While it’s true that a bare dorm room is about as dull as a rock, that blank canvas only allows all the more space for creativity, customization, and personalization. All it takes to create a space that is unique to your own sense of style and sense of self is a little bit of creativity and a lot of elbow grease, but, it definitely can be done (and according to the rules and regulations of most dorms, too!)
Here are ten easy and cheap ways to personalize your dorm room that can be attainable for anyone. While each decorating hack may seem simple, that leaves all the more room for your own personality to shine through.
10. Add EASILY Removable Wall Art/Decor: Easily removable being the key words, here. Bare walls can often send a sense of boredom to any room- hang up photos, posters, art, and more!
9. Swap Your Dorm Lamp Out For A Cooler One: Sure the basic lamps provided by most universities do the job, but a custom lamp can add a cool flare to any room.
8. Invest In A Giant Rug: A big, soft rug can add a sense of comfort to any room. Plus, no cold feet!
7. Create A Custom Bulletin Board: Get a bulletin board and customize it with photos, important papers for school, cool pins, and more. It will give you much personalization in your space.
6. Customize Your Scent: Since most dorms don’t allow candles or open flames, invest in an oil diffuser or even a bottle of air freshener that gives you a custom and lovely scent.
5. Pick A Funky Chair For Your Desk: A cozy and colorful chair can break up the monotony of any room.
4. Add A Green Plant: Real or fake, a touch of earthy decor can bring light to any space.
3. Choose A Cool, Canvas Laundry Bag: In order to get a truly personal space, customize anything you get a chance to! Get a colorful, or simple, canvas laundry hamper that camouflages your dirty clothes in between washes. You will be surprised how the littlest touch can give you such a sense of home.
2. Add Light And Airy Curtains: Fresh curtains can reflect the natural light and open your space in a calming way.
1. Make Your Bed The Focal Point: There are so many beautiful bed sets: find one that suits your personal style and design the remainder of your room around your bed (since those rooms are barely big enough to fit anything besides a bed, anyway!). Cool pillows, throw blankets, and more can truly give you a wonderful space.